Friday, March 8, 2013

Artist Q & A

Who is AKrauseStudio?
Hi! My name is Amy Krause and I am the artist behind AKrauseStudio. I studied art at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire where I earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree with an emphasis in Painting. I primarily work with acrylic paints but I also enjoy working with watercolor and oil paints. During my time as a student I also studied life drawing, ceramics, sculpture and metalsmithing. Having a diverse background in the arts allows me to draw from many areas to influence my work. It is very rare that I focus on using one medium. I tend to consider myself a mixed media artist, in that, I usually implement several different mediums into each artwork.

Where did the name AKrauseStudio come from?
While searching for new venues to sell my artwork, I stumbled across an online marketplace called Etsy where artists and crafters can sell their handmade goods. It was love at first sight and I knew this was the place for my art. Each seller is required to create a "shop" and name it so as to distinguish it from other artisans. When it came to naming my shop, I decided I wanted to incorporate my name, thus, AKrause. The Studio part comes from wanting to evoke a sense of actually stepping into a studio space when the audience is viewing my collection of works.

So AKrauseStudio is an artist and jewelry designer?
Yes! During my final semester in college I took a metalsmithing course that made me fall in love with jewelry making. I especially enjoyed the casting and fabrication process and hope to incorporate it more into my work. Currently, my jewelry pieces are a fusion of my original contemporary art and my style of vintage-modern charm.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?
I would say my biggest influence is nature. The colors, lines, textures, shapes and forms found in the world around us are so beautiful and inspiring. I am also inspired by other artists. Some of my favorites include Katsushika Hokusai, Mark Rothko, Arthur Rackham, Alphonse Mucha, Maxfield Parrish, Georgia O'Keeffe, James Nare, Andy Goldsworthy and J.M.W. Turner. Another great influence is music. If it moves my soul it moves me to create.

Do you have any advice for aspiring artists?
Create, create, create. You cannot develop your craft if you are not practicing it. Also, don't be afraid to take risks with your work. So you've mastered the perfect still life, what's next? What more can you do to it? How can you make it into something completely new and innovative? Evolve. Be diverse. Once you have a strong technical background you can really push your work to great places.

Where can I find artwork and jewelry by AKrauseStudio?
In addition to selling on Etsy, I also sell at various craft and art shows. I have also sold my work at an artist co-op called Coulee Arts Marketplace and at a gift shop called Honig's. You can also message me through my Facebook fan page by clicking the link if you are interested in anything you see. I am always looking for new places to showcase my work. Stay tuned to my blog for updates on where you can find more of my original work.

No comments:

Post a Comment